- Enter 3 or more letters of the location to which you would like to change
- Select your location from the dropdown list
Shark River Railroad Bridge
- Lat / Lon: N 40° 11.088' / W 074° 01.539'
- Bridge Type: Bascule
- Vertical Clearance (Closed): 8.00'
- Horizontal Clearance: 50.00'
- Schedule: The draws of the S71 Bridge, mile 0.8, and the Railroad Bridge, mile 0.9, both at Avon, operate as follows:
(a) The bridges operate as one unit. The owners shall provide signal systems so connected that the operator of either bridge may simultaneously notify the operator of the other bridge. The operator of the first bridge to be passed shall be responsible for observing the approach vessels, for receiving and acknowledging signals, and for coordinating the opening of the other draw.
(b) The draws shall open on signal; except that, from May 15 through September 30 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday except Federal holidays and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, the draw need be opened only on the hour and half hour if a vessel is waiting to pass.
(c) The owners of the bridges shall provide and keep in good legible condition two board gages painted white with black figures not less than eight inches high to indicate the vertical clearance under the closed draw at all stages of the tide. The gages shall be so placed on the bridges that they are plainly visible to operators of vessels approaching the bridges either up or downstream.
Editor's Note: Bridge schedules are subject to temporary change due to repairs, maintenance, events, etc. Check the Waterway Explorer for possible nav alerts.
- VHF Channel: 13
Be the first to provide comments about this bridge
These are observations from the boating community. Waterway Guide information is verified regularly and all efforts will be made to validate any new updates submitted here. Thank you for taking the time to share comments about your experience.
Thanks for your valuable feedback!
Current Review Policies
- Comments are reviewed and/or verified by Waterway Guide staff and do not post immediately. Please use a valid email address so that we can contact you if we need clarification (email address will not be published).
- Name will be published. Anonymous comments may not be posted.
- Comments will be shared with the reviewed marina to offer them an opportunity to respond. If they choose to do so, the marina’s comments may also be posted in response to the original comment.
- Comments containing foul or obscene language will be rejected or returned for resubmission.
- Comments containing personal attacks will be rejected or returned for resubmission.
- Off-topic content will be rejected.
- Comments must describe commenter's personal experience – “hearsay” reports will be rejected.
- Comments must be understandable and clear enough to inform other boaters.
- URL links are allowed only if they inform the content – no “advertising” your business or blog.
- Maine to Cape Cod
- Long Island Sound & Long Is.
- Hudson River, NY Harbor & NJ Coast
- Chesapeake & Delaware Bays
- Atlantic ICW - VA thru GA
- Atlantic ICW - FL & St. Johns R.
- Florida Keys
- Okeechobee Waterway
- Bahamas & Turks & Caicos
- Gulf Coast - Florida
- Gulf Coast - AL thru TX
- NY & Canadian Canals, L. Champlain, & St. Lawrence River
- Great Lakes, Georgian Bay, N. Channel
- Inland Rivers - Chicago to Mobile