News & Events for Chesapeake Bay
Biggest ship to ever call the East Coast home set to arrive at Port of Virginia Tuesday morning
Date Posted: 2020-09-15
Source: Channel 3
NORFOLK, Va. - The Port of Virginia will soon welcome the biggest container vessel the East Coast has ever seen.
On Tuesday, September 15, the CMA CGM Brazil will come into the Norfolk Harbor between 9-11 a.m., with it coming into berth at the Virginia International Gateway between 11:30 a.m. and noon.
The CMA CGM Brazil weighs more than 15,000 TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units). It and other similar-sized vessels owned by CMA CGM will be making regular stops in the Commonwealth.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the event will be closed, but you will be able to see the vessel as it enters the Chesapeake Bay and the Norfolk Harbor from the following vantage points:
- Virginia Beach, North-End beaches
- First Landing State Park (Virginia Beach)
- Public beaches in the Shore Drive corridor (Virginia Beach)
- Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel public parking lot
- Plum Point Park (City of Norfolk)