When Daniel Latham built a hunting and fishing camp in 1868 on what is now the River Forest Manor, Jack’s Neck was little more than a small settlement inhabited by a few farmers and fishermen. In time, the town changed its name to Belhaven and with the addition of a rail spur from the Norfolk and Southern Railroad, and the port’s location near the Pamlico Sound, the town became a vital transportation artery for the distribution of goods throughout eastern North Carolina. Today, the town's businesses mainly serve the surrounding farming communities, the local residents and tourists. Many of the grand homes built in the late 1800s and early 1900s remain standing today, the largest of which is River Forest Manor (circa 1904), which was recently renovated.
The Waterway Guide Team has gained extensive boating knowledge over the years, and now we are sharing all of the tips, skills and tools we’ve picked up along the way!